About the IL-NET
The IL-NET is a collaborative project of
Independent Living Research Utilization (ILRU)
of Houston, Texas, the National Council on Independent Living
(NCIL) in Washington, DC, and the Association of Programs for Rural
Independent Living (APRIL) in North Little Rock, Arkansas.
The IL-NET is a national training and technical
assistance project working to strengthen the independent living
movement by supporting Centers for Independent Living (CILs)
and Statewide Independent Living Councils (SILCs).
The mission of the IL-NET is to assist in building strong and effective CILs and SILCs which are led and staffed by people who practice the independent living philosophy.
IL-NET activities include workshops, webinars and teleconferences, online courses and tutorials, technical assistance, and publications on governing,
managing, and evaluating centers and SILCs; and service delivery in CILs..
The IL-NET operates with these objectives:
- Support CILs as they strengthen fiscal and management practices, comply with CIL standards and assurances, provide and expand core and other IL services, increase program efficiency, conduct evaluations, and improve outcomes for individuals with disabilities.
- Assist SILCs in performing SILC responsibilities defined in law and federal regulations and in executing SILC operations, including the competent development of, and evaluation of the implementation of, the State Plan for Independent Living.
- Provide training and technical assistance to CILs and SILCs using a broad range of technologies and methodologies.
Technical assistance may be in the form of responding to short-term simple requests for information or resources, peer-to-peer mentoring that may involve an onsite visit, or intensive support over a period of time for CILs and SILCs that face serious management or programmatic issues. Requests for short-term TA may go to any of the partner organizations listed below; requests for peer-to-peer mentoring should be directed to APRIL; and requests for intensive support should be directed to ILRU.
2323 S. Shepherd, Suite 1000, Houston, TX 77019
(713) 520-0232 (V/TTY), (713) 520-5785 (fax)
Petty,IL NET Director
1710 Rhode Island Avenue, NW, Fifth Floor
Washington, DC 20036
(202) 245-7404 (V), (202) 207-0340 (TTY), (202) 207-0341 (FAX)
or (877) 525-3400 Toll Free
2001 Pershing Circle, Suite 200
North Little Rock, AR 72114
(501) 753-3400 (V), (501) 753-3406 (FAX)